Motivate, Educate, Celebrate: Learning Together for a Better Future
Home · Parents & Students · Homeless Information

Homeless Information

The Federal McKinney-Vento Act guarantees school enrollment for anyone who, due to a lack of permanent housing, lives in inadequate or temporary settings, such as:
  • In emergency or transitional shelters
  •  In motels, hotels, or campgrounds
  • In cars, parks, public places, bus or train stations, or abandoned buildings
  • Doubled up with relatives or friends
  • In these conditions and is a migratory child or youth
Families should know:
  • You do not need a permanent address to enroll your child in school.
  • Your child cannot be denied school enrollment when school records or other enrollment documentation are not immediately available.
  • Your child may be able to remain in the same school even if you move.
  • Your child has the right to transportation services to remain in the school of origin when in the child’s best interests.
  • Schools must provide you with a written explanation if a placement dispute occurs and you may appeal the school’s decision. Contact your local Homeless Liaison for assistance in handling a placement dispute.
  • Your child automatically qualifies to participate in free breakfast and lunch programs.
  • Your child has the right to participate in extracurricular activities and all federal, state, or local programs for which he/she is eligible.
       Note: Unaccompanied youth lacking fixed, regular and adequate housing have these same rights.
If you have questions, contact the HCPS Homeless Education Liaison at (540) 434-9916.